Tahoe Forest Hospice Volunteers
Experience the joy of making a difference in someone's life by contributing your unique interests, skills, and talents. There is a place waiting for you in our flexible and interesting volunteer program. A short visit, a listening ear, reading a book, a simple walk-no matter what the activity, the gift of time leaves a lasting impression on hospice patients and families. Volunteers do the kinds of things that friends do for each other. Whether you choose to work directly with our patients and families or volunteer in other ways, you are a very important part of our Hospice Team.
Please contact the hospice volunteer coordinator at (530) 582-6521.
Hospice Volunteer Opportunities
- Patient/Family Support volunteers provide companionship and emotional support to hospice patients and their families in patient homes and nursing homes. Volunteers can stay with a patient while caregivers are out, run errands, read a book, play games, write letters, fix a meal or just offer a comforting presence to those families and patients dealing with end-of-life issues.
- Administrative Support/Office volunteers assist with periodic mailings, our hospice library, filing, computer input, and other clerical tasks as needed to support the hospice staff.
- Bereavement volunteers call families and caregivers after their loved one has died to offer support and information on our individual grief counseling and support group programs.
- Renee's Place volunteers proved special support services in the school setting for children and teens who have lost a loved one.
- Thrift Store volunteers work at one of our two Thrift Stores in Truckee or Kings Beach, receiving donations, maintaining displays, sorting donations and assisting customers.
- Friends of Hospice fundraising volunteers organize and assist with our Annual Hospice Benefit which is held each year in the fall.
Volunteer training is provided for those choosing to volunteer with patients and families. Volunteer orientation is required for those choosing to volunteer in clerical, fundraising or thrift store roles.