- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic or 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs like parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil
- OR dried spices like cumin, red pepper, curry powders, ginger, chili powder (get creative!)
- 1-2 bay leaves (if you have it)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of canned/leftover beans or lentils
- 8 -10 cups of water or broth (or a combo of the two)
- 4-6 cups of chopped veggies such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, parsnips, zucchini, squash, pumpkin etc.
- 2 cups of leafy greens (whatever you have on hand like spinach or kale)
- ¼ to ½ cup of dried grains like rice or small whole-wheat pasta
- OR 1-2 cups of diced potatoes, corn or peas
- 2 cups of leftover protein like shredded chicken, optional
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
Heat large soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onions, sauté until translucent. Add garlic and herbs, cook 1-2 minutes more. Add tomatoes and veggies and stir to combine. Add beans, grains, protein and water or broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add any greens and stir to wilt. Season with salt, pepper and vinegar or lemon juice.
Makes 8 servings. Prep Time 15 minutes, Cook Time 20 minutes.
Recipe Source: Lisa Fligor, MS, RDN