Also known as a Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. These documents allow you to choose the medical care you want if you are not able to speak for yourself and designate the person you want to make those choices for you. Talking with your doctor, family, and friends and putting your decisions in writing are important.

The Admitting Department can give you or your family members additional information on advance directives at any time, and help you obtain these documents if you don't already have them. If you already have a Living Will or Durable Power of Attorney for HealthCare, please speak with your doctor about specific orders that will need to be placed in your medical record. Bring a copy to the hospital if you have either one of these documents.

We strongly encourage you to complete an Advance Directive.

California residents: while state law requires certain provisions to appear in your health care directive, there is no single form in use to document your wishes.

Nevada residents can download forms from: