Do you find yourself trying to squeeze and massage your own shoulders, neck or back to release tension or reduce pain?. Do you ever feel a “twinge” somewhere in your body and think “Oh no! That’s going to set off a pain spiral!”. Self-massage can be a way to help cope with bodily pain and tension and even prevent injury.
- Self-massage has many benefits:
- Turns on the relaxing parasympathetic nervous system so it can help reduce tension and stress.
- Helps to release tight fascia, knots and adhesions resulting in reduced tightness or immobility in joints and muscles
- Helps to improve blood flow to the area to help with recovery and pain reduction
- Keeps your muscles stimulated and supple to help reduce recurrences of old injuries or development of new ones from unfamiliar movements like a new workout routine